Favorite Scripture

Favorite Scripture:

“Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.” (Alma 37:37)

Monday, August 11, 2014

Chinese is Tough!!!


Hey Family!!
Another week in the books! This week was a very tough week! It flew by, but the language was really tough! It was filled with some great experiences though! On Tuesday we taught our new investigator, and on Wednesday we taught him again.  It went well.  Still have a hard time understanding all the time.. haha so i just have to ask if they well repeat, and repeat, and repeat!! hahaha! We had a good lesson on that this week.  That when we don't understand, don't pretend like you do, because it is obvious when we don't and pretend like we do.  All that does for the investigators is let them know that we really don't care what they have to say! Our teacher told us that the people of Taiwan are very patient and they know that we are trying, they won't get frustrated when we ask them to say it again.  So that was some good advice. I used that a ton!  This week was tough, but on Friday during personal study I was reading in 2nd Nephi 9 and when I read verses 21, and 22 I had this thought that even though this isn't a trial and it is a huge opportunity for me to learn this language, it is still one of the hardest things that I have ever done.  There have been days I have felt horrible about the language and my learning, but it came to me when I read that, that on top of everything that Christ suffered for, He also took these feelings upon himself as well, just so that I would have the opportunity to draw closer to my Heavenly Father.  On top of everything he suffered, he even suffered so that I could have an opportunity that would benefit me and bring me closer to My Heavenly Father.  I found that so comforting.  That meant everything to me.
Looking Stunned on the Floor of our Chinese Study!!!
At the Temple with Elder Lloyd!!!
On a funny note, our teacher was telling us about a time when he mixed up his words with a brand new investigator, and wanted him to read a scripture with them.  He meant to say 1st Nephi 3:7 hahaha and on accident he said 3rd Nephi 3:7 hahahah you will have to read it!!!! It seems like whenever you mess up the words the wrong thing always comes out!!! It has happened to me! The best was Elder Shurtleff and Elder Tatton, haha they switched times with the sisters because they were feeling sick, and when they got there the investigator asked where the sisters were.  They tried to say that the sisters felt sick and couldn't come, but on accident said, " Jie mei men si wang" which meant that the sisters died! hahahahah!!! we died laughing at that! we still do!
I had the opportunity of giving a talk on Sunday.  In English luckily! It was for the kitchen staff. it went well! My companion and I volunteered.  Besides that everything is going great! I love this work, and it is amazing to be a missionary! I love you all and it is always amazing to hear from you guys! Keep the faith always.
Love always, 
Elder Redding (Hong Zhang Lao)


No comments:

Post a Comment