Favorite Scripture

Favorite Scripture:

“Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.” (Alma 37:37)

Monday, September 29, 2014

A Chinese Miracle!

Family and Friends,

This week has flown by!! The work here is great!  It is very humbling.  We sure do have an easy life.  There are many people who struggle and every single day is a battle.  It makes me very grateful for the life I have.  Neither of us know the ward members, but we are starting to get the ball rolling a little bit and have some great opportunities this week.  

This week as we were walking to a lesson, we saw this lady sitting on these steps smoking.  As we passed I said hi and smiled at her and she smiled back.  As we passed, I thought we should go and talk to her... haha but I let it pass because I see everyone and have that feeling!! hahaha  but we went to another guy's door and he wasn't home.  So as we walked back and my companion asked how her day was, and then she started asking about the church.  It was really neat, we basically gave her the whole first lesson in a nutshell and I talked to her about the Book of Mormon and asked her to read it.  She then was telling us how she was really tired lately because she has been moving, so naturally I just asked her if she would like help this week.  She said that would be great. and then we asked If we could come meet with her again.  She said that would be great and she gave us her number.  Now, this sounds kinda dumb, but it is very rare here to get a street contact like that.  It was really neat, because most people here on the streets don't like to talk about the church.  A lot of people will swear really loud when we walk by.. just to make sure that we won't talk to them.  haha and if we say hi or something... most will say hi back... others will ignore us, hahah others will randomly say something religious just to try and show that they already have religion.  It gets funny sometimes.  The people in our apartment complex look out for us.  They like having the missionaries live by them.  

Enjoying a Chinese Dinner after Splits Courtesy of Some Generous Members
This last Thursday when we got home, it was dark and there were like 10 cops surrounding our apartment and caution tape all around and an ambulance.  So we proceeded to go toward our apartment and went inside.  And our whole backyard was taped off and everything.  I guess that there was a stabbing like 30 min before... Idk what happened to the guy, they took him to the emergency room.  There was a cop standing outside our back door all night to make sure that the guy didn't come back.  It was different than anything I have ever experienced.  hahah that doesnt happen at home!

Anyway, Sunday was really cool! We went to church, Oatfield Ward and the people there are awesome.  It was the primary program.  It was cool, and after we met the McDonald's who we were going to have dinner with that night.  They are a really young family and are super cool.  They saw my name tag and got really excited, haha i didn't know why at first, but then she told me that they just got a foreign exchange student from Mainland China who is living with them for the next couple months until she gets an apartment because she is teaching Chinese here.  So she was like " we are having Chinese food tonight" haha and so I went over and talked to her for like an hour and a half and even got the chance to teach her the first lesson in Chinese.  I think she really liked it because she hasn't been able to speak Chinese much. It was honestly so cool.  I asked her if she could help me every week with my Chinese and told her that next time I would give her a Chinese Book of Mormon.  It was neat.  I hope that before I leave I can help her.  I hope that she can feel the spirit of this gospel.  That was seriously the best Chinese I have ever spoken in my life.  I even had basic conversations with her!! Without the spirit there is no way that I could have done that.  I have been so blessed with this language.  I have so much to learn and so much I don't understand... but I know that without the spirit, I could barely say a prayer.  

Keep up the great work everyone!!  

Love, 

Elder Redding


No comments:

Post a Comment